Somehow, despite the worst weather of all time, I've managed to get to the gym more often these past few weeks. As I was dancing like a pro through another Zumba class, I thought to myself, "Gee Katie, I bet your bloggy friends sure could use a Zumba confidence boost!" What do I mean by a confidence boost? Well, once you finish reading this post, you'll have the tools you need to face ANY dance-cardio workout!
1. Take a spot in the back of the studio. You might think "I'll be brave and go to the front row," but beware--this is where the popular girls congregate. They're tight with the instructor and have tons of inside jokes. Laugh at the wrong time, and you'll immediately be shunned to the back row.
2. DON'T WATCH THE INSTRUCTOR. Are you crazy?!? You think you can just watch someone with moves like Jagger and get the steps down right away?!? No. Find a girl who looks like she knows what she's doing but dances at your pace. Maybe one day you'll be so good you can teach the instructor, but today is not that day.
|You will not look like this on your first try.|
4. Don't get too cocky. Just because you nailed the warm-up doesn't mean you are going to master the double time salsa that's coming up.
5. Be prepared for the occasional gawker to peer through the door/observation windows. They'll never understand that you just gotta dance.
6. When all else fails, salsa. If you can't salsa, march in place and shake your hips a little, and no one will be the wiser.
Remember, friends, group excersise classes can be intimidating, but with the right attitude you can conquer your fears AND burn off all the calories from your carb addiction at the same time!
Have you ever tried Zumba or other complicated workout classes? If so, what are your tips?